Research & Enterprise Support
A major objective of the Partnership is to develop innovative ways of supporting, managing and developing research programmes; from winning grants and other forms of sponsorship, through the exchange of knowledge between academic and industrial researchers to the successful exploitation of that knowledge by companies and society more broadly. Collaboration between the professionals responsible for these activities at UWA and UWB has been established and is focused on supporting research grant applications and knowledge exchange activities. Capacity and expertise are being shared to address the priorities outlined in the Welsh Assembly Government's Winning Wales strategy:
- Enabling strong links between businesses and our education institutions on a wide range of matters including recruitment, training, management development, international networking and technology transfer
- Enabling the successful commercial exploitation of good new ideas from wherever they emerge.
Centre for Knowledge & Innovation Transfer, and Enterprise (CKITE)
In 2009 a fifth Centre of the Partnership that was created in order to build on the existing joint enterprise activities between Commercialisation and Consultancy Services (CCS) in Aberystwyth and their opposite number: the Research Innovation Office (RIO, formerly UIB) in Bangor. This new Centre will formalise a structure and ensure good communication between the two departments and will examine opportunities to support the potential broader collaborations
between the Partnership and other Welsh institutions.
CKITE also has responsibility for delivering the Partnership’s Enterprise related targets.
- To develop business development capacity that can actively market the research expertise of both institutions to Wales and internationally
- To enhance the management of the institutions' intellectual property
- To increase significantly income for research, from the research councils and other UK public funding bodies, from the European Union and from industry
- To develop shared best practice in business relations, commercialisation and technology transfer through the exchange and improvement of knowledge, skills and processes
To promote effective and economic 3rd Mission activity, including:
- Promotion of a culture of enterprise and entrepreneurship amongst staff and students
- Providing services to business such as training, Continuing Professional Development and knowledge exchange activity
- Engagement in regional economic development activities, partnerships and programmes
- Development of alumni networks specifi cally focused on engagement with the universities' economically relevant activities.
AU/BU Research and Enterprise Support Unit (RESU)
RESU is one of the initiatives developed as part of the Research and Enterprise Partnership between Aberystwyth and Bangor Universities. Find out more about the AU/BU Research and Enterprise Support Unit (RESU)